Geestelijk Vader & Inspirator Groundhopping.nl Overleden

Gestart door Han, dec 16, 2010, 22:27:08

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

Han

Citaat van: TeeZee op feb 01, 2008, 18:35:34...

Aanvankelijk was het niet de bedoeling om weer een nieuw forum te beginnen en had de hoofdsite (Don Shoulder Gate) alleen een blog. Het bleek dat het blog niet echt werkte om interactie te krijgen. Daarvoor is een forum toch meer geschikt. En al hoewel dit forum uitermate rustig is, is het wel een mooie uitlaatklep (op ieder moment wat kunnen posten over wat je bezighoudt m.b.t. voetbal) en een plek waar je soms wat van anderen leest. Prima. Of het uiteindelijk zinvol is om het op deze manier voort te zetten zien we in de toekomst wel. Suggesties zijn welkom.

En dan is het nu wel leuk om ook van anderen te horen over hun eerste en daaropvolgende schreden in de diverse internetdiscussiegroepen.

Queen of the South. Heart of Midlothian. Crystal Palace. Sommige clubs hebben geen naam maar een titel. In dat rijtje ontbreekt Bishop Auckland niet. De affiche Gainsborough Trinity, ook zo'n goddelijke verwijzing, versus Bishop Auckland is geen aankondiging van een voetbalwedstrijd maar een pamflet voor een hemels treffen.

The Bishop Auckland. Zo heet in de fantasie een 19de eeuwse radarboot op de Mississipi waarop flanellen dames paraderen met tere parasolletjes om begeleid door gelakschoende gentlemen naar een voorstelling op het scheepse vaudevilletheater te gaan.

Chief Bishop Auckland. Ergens in Nieuw Zeeland moet een Maori-stamhoofd begraven liggen die zo heet, uiteindelijk bezweken aan illegaal gestookt vuurwater en andere misfermenten.

Toen de FA Cup loting nog een authentieke voorstelling was met gehandschoende fossielen die uit een roodveloursen zak houten balletjes alzheimerden en bibberend op een even fluwelen plateautje drapeerden bidde je maar om een ding: Bishop Auckland thuis en dan schaarse beelden op tv. Een samenvatting van niet langer dan een halve minuut; het liefst met schimmige zwart-wit cameravoering. Sprookjesclubs mogelijk namelijk zo nu en dan wel hun feëerie deels prijsgeven maar nooit helemaal onthullen.

Bishop Auckland speelt op een sacraal terrein dat tegen de plaatselijke parochiekerk aanleunt. De haan waakt er al lichtjaren. De oude tribune kreunt amechtig onder haar eigen lijden. Aan beide zijden buigen decaying terraces en kromgebogen barriers eerbiedig richting the grand old stand.   

Mid-Nineties. We gaan op bedevaart. We kloppen aan een houten deur en worden hartelijk verwelkomd door de onvermijdelijke groundsman die zijn functie combineert met het management over het washok en het schoonmaken van kicksen. Een groundsman die figureert in een van de diepere gelegen pronkkamers  van de conference piramide is doorgaans een voor zijn werk afgekeurde lokale zwoeger die liefdewerk en oud papier elke dag een andere dimensie geeft. Voor onze gemankeerde missionaris in Bishop Auckland is het teder krijten der lijnen elke dag weer een hoogmis.

Tot onze verbazing bevindt zich in de rustieke houten poort die ons toegang verschafte tot het heilige der heiligen een kleinere, tweede deur. Boven dat deurtje dat in roestige scharnieren hangt bevindt zich een opschrift zoals de INRI inscriptie boven in het kruis van Jezus op de berg Golgotha. We lezen 'Don Shoulder Gate'.

Don Shoulder laat ons niet meer los, ook niet als we door de mysterieuze groundsman worden rondgeleid en zelfs een prachtig licht en donkerblauw geblokt home shirt meekrijgen als aandenken. We nemen afscheid van. Langzaam valt de grote houten poort als een enorme kerkdeur knarsend achter ons dicht. We kijken nog eenmaal om en horen het schurende geluid van de gietijzeren deurgrendel langzaam wegebben. De Don Shoulder Gate staart ons geheimzinnig toe.

Nog verbouwereerd door de gedachte aan de mystieke Don Shoulder Gate verlaten we Bishop Auckland. Uiteraard hadden we naar hem gevraagd bij de groundsman die zich voorhands in nevelen hulde. Eenmaal thuis schreef ik de club aan en ontving op schitterend briefpapier de volgende handgeschreven kroniek:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your letter and gifts which arrived last month. I am sorry about the delay in answering but the Club has been waiting for this stationery. By the way, I am Don Shoulder and the Club Officials thought that I would be the best to answer your question- I'll try not to be biased.

I am 64 years old and the first game I remember watching was during the 1938/39 season and I have been a supporter ever since, travelling all over with them. I joined the supoorters club and when we built the clubhouse in 1967 I became secretary. A year later I was asked to put my name forward to stand for the F.C. Committee. This I did and was successful.

I really enjoyed being on the Committee, having a say in the running of a club, visiting different clubs and making new friends. It was a world apart from being just a supporter. In 1981 I was made redundant and being single I found that I could manage on my redundancy money and what I had saved. I wasn't claiming anything from the state so I decided against looking for a job and volunteered to help look after the ground. Eventually, the chap who was doing the ground got himself a new job and I took over as groundsman plus the responsibility of looking after and ordering the playing kit.

Around about 1986 I decided to stand down as groundsman as I hadn't been feeling very well for about a year. I got my friend Eddy who you met at the ground to take over. I still looked after the playing kit and helped Eddy marking the pitch for him on match days. This I did until October 1987 when, the morning after making the pitch for a F.A. Cup rpaly against Harrogate, I had a mild heart attack. When I recovered I just carried on looking after the kit with Eddies help at away matches.

Now you'll want to know about the Don Shoulder Gate which isn't there to honour me or anything like that. It is something I fought long and hard for in the Boardroom and after a number of weeks of pestering the Committee at every meeting our then President Bill Botcherby got one of his joiners to install it. The reason I wanted it was because when we played away in midweek and got back early hours, us, Eddie and I, had to go through the clubhouse to get into the ground to put the dirty lit in the dressing rooms. Sometimes, however, during wet weather the clubhouse doors would swell and make them hard to close and on two or three occasions Edie and I were regarded suspiciously by passing policemen who thought we might be burglars. This of course was quite embarrassing so I determined to get the Committee to install a gate in our gate. When it was done some joker thought it would be a good idea to put my name on it-hence The Don Shoulder Gate.

Last year I decided to stand down from the Committee and have a rest for at least a seaon. I still go to all the games, both home and away. I am just a supporter again. I hope I have been able to enlighten you on the ordinary Don Shoulder.

Yours sincerely,

Don Shoulder

PS: thanks for your tie and pennant. Please find enclosed a club tie and an extra sheet of stationery which might be a collector's item as we are hoping to build a new ground in the future.

Nadat ik deze ontboezeming op drie pagina's had ontvangen was ik een dag van slag. Ik beschouw het als een tijdsdocument. Als Don Shoulder dood gaat hoort zijn kist, gemaakt van het hout van zijn eigen gate, door statige paarden getrokken, door Bishop Auckland geparadeerd te worden. Het moet mistig zijn en koud zodat je de paarden, met dekens in de clubkleuren over dampende lijven, stripballonnen ziet dampen.

Waar ooit de ground Kingsway was moet de stoet één minuut stoppen en luiden de klokken van de parochiekerk. 

CiteerDon: One of Bishops' finest sons
DON Shoulder, one of those endlessly enthusiastic people without whom non-league football could barely survive, has died suddenly.
Don was a Bishop Auckland lad, started following the Two Blues in 1939 – when he was seven – revelled in the glory days of the 1950s and still hoped that, one day, they would return.
We'd caught up with him and fellow stalwarts Alan Walker and Arthur Simpson in an FA Vase match at Hall Road Rangers last September – the road to Wembley again prematurely ended.
"It might be a year or two," Don supposed, "before we're headed that way again."
Familiar in black leather jacket and black leather hat – a rig that earned him the wholly affectionate nickname Herr Flick – he'd had 26 years on the club committee, enjoyed a spell as groundsman and, Shoulder to the wheel, was always ready to help.
The celebrated old Kingsway ground even had an entrance nicknamed the Don Shoulder gate after the narrow portal through which Don would squeeze when returning late at night with the kit.
"It was too much hassle opening the big gate. I got the job through being small," he explained when, in 2007,, a group of nomadic Dutch fans named their website donshouldergate in his honour.
"He just never missed a game, always with stopwatch in hand. His enthusiasm was amazing, still like a teenager really," said former Bishops' chairman Charlie Townsend.
Derek Jago, the club chaplain, talked of a genuine gentleman. "Don was a walking history book, knew everyone who'd ever played for the Bishops and had an amazing affection for the club."
Club officials became concerned when he failed to be at his usual pickup point before last Saturday's game, prompting police to break down his flat door after first checking hospitals in Bishop Auckland, Darlington and Durham. The flat was empty.
On Sunday morning, however, Bishops treasurer Pauline Duffy rang the James Cook hospital in Middlesbrough and was told that Don had been admitted on Friday and died the following lunchtime.
A bachelor and a regular in the town's Derby pub, he is believed to have just one close relative, a sister on holiday in Africa.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/columnists/backtrack/8155093.Whitley_Bay_out_to_win_it_for_Mark/

Strangely Devoted or Mentally Disturbed

Joost

Wil je me niet meer de rillingen over mijn rug laten lopen. Ik dacht dat er iets met H of T was gebeurt.